FIAT DUCATO ( CHECK ENGINE) LIGHT
When you see this light come on it means generally you have carboned up the diesel engine from driving too slow, or you have been doing short trips ,or letting it idle... which will carbon the engine up
In a world today with emission standards on diesels being stricter in european countries than the western world .
There comes a criteria you must follow to respect the diesel engine . otherwise it will not respect you !!!
THIS IS CALLED A DPF FILTER
Diesels produce lots of soot (particulate matter) that can cause respiratory problems and contribute to the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Modern diesel vehicles (since 2010) have to be fitted with a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) in the exhaust to stop this soot passing into the atmosphere.
To maintain performance a DPF has to be emptied regularly. This is usually done passively in a process called 'regeneration': when the exhaust temperature’s high enough, on motorways
Active regeneration will be initiated every 300 kilometres or so depending on how you use your vehicle and will take approx 15 minutes to complete.
(Depending on how you have been driving)
But it’s a problem if your journey’s too short and the regeneration doesn’t finish.
During active regeneration you may notice:
- Faster engine idle speed
- Increased fuel consumption
- A hot, acid smell from the exhaust.
- The engine sounds different
Don’t Ignore a Warning Light
It is already very bad of carbon in the engine to get the light to come on
So if you get a warning light showing that the filter’s blocked, it may be possible ( if your lucky) to complete an active regeneration cycle and clear the warning light by driving the vehicle hard for 20 minutes minimum or so at speeds over 95kph. - Down the motorway or highway
If you ignore a DPF warning light and keep driving in a relatively slow, stop/start pattern, soot will build up in the filter until your vehicle goes into ‘restricted performance mode.
If you let it get this bad:
- Driving at speed alone won’t be enough.
- You’ll have to get a dealer to do a manual inspection
- In extreme cases they may have to replace the DPF filter which can cost a lot of money
In most cases there’s only a short time between the DPF being partially blocked and it getting so blocked it needs replacing , at the owners cost
BLOCKED DPF WITH CARBON
- All CI customers at the time of collection of there vehicle are advised to never let the motorhome idle to warm it up or to charge batteries, traffic lights are fine
- Do Not do short trips all the time it will carbon up the engine , drive it hard !!! so you drive it hard from takeoff up to the legal speed limit .
If you drive around like a snail it will carbon up the engine, not a fault of the Fiat , it is a fault of the driver !
All Diesel vehicles work the same
- Dont use cheap Diesel , or diesel stored in farm tanks to avoid contamination .... Any of the major brands like BP, Caltex, Z or Mobil.... are fine
- Dont buy diesel from remote country service stations , fill up at main cities where tanks are regularly refilled to avoid the possibility of contamination
with water in the storage tanks etc
PLEASE NOTE : This works exactly the same prinicipal for any late model diesel engine , this is NOT solely for Fiat Ducato